In the book of Revelation, there are 7 churches that God speaks to through John. In this sermon, we are taking a look at the church in Philadelphia. There are some simple things we notice.
1. Concerning the outward condition of the church at Philadelphia Their condition was one of weakness and insignificance (3:8b). They had few members and were not accepted by society. All they had was the promise of God. All they preached was Christ and the gospel.
2. Christ's opinion of the church at Philadelphia - concerning the characteristics of our Lord (3:7) He is holy and true. He has the key of David. He opens and shuts doors and no one can stop Him. Therefore, we can trust Christ's opinion. - the commendations that come from our Lord (3:8c) Christ's opinion was that though they only had a little strength, they kept God's word in doctrine, practice, and spirit and did not deny His name.
3. A certain opportunity for the church at Philadelphia (3:8a) This church had been faithful to God, so he was going to provide a door of opportunity for this church. Though they were a small church and looked weak in the eyes of the world, God was going to make them great.
4. The coming opposition to the church at Philadelphia (3:9) The synagogue of Satan, or those who professed to be saved but were not, were coming to oppose their church. The Roman soldiers also were coming to scourge the church at Philadelphia
5. The confident overcoming of the church in Philadelphia (3:12) God by His grace would give victory to the Philadelphian church and bring them home to Himself because they persevered for the glory of God.