Review: Last week we noted several things from John 15:1-17
1. Jesus is the True Vine A. Jesus is the "I AM" Vine - He is Divine Person, the Son B. Jesus is the Source of Life, Salvation and Growth - If we don't bear fruit, we are NOT true disciples
2. What is the Fruit of True Discipleship? A. Jesus uses this fruit idea in Matthew 5:15-20 and 12:33-35 B. Paul uses it in a similar way in Galatians 5:22-23 C. The fruit is Godly Christian Character which brings forth Godly Christian Service
3. Jesus says, "He who abides in me, and I in him, bears much fruit: for without me, you can do nothing." A. We must abide in Christ to bear fruit B. Jesus is not only our salvation, he is our sanctification
4. How do we Abide in Christ? A. "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love" verse 10
5. What are some of Jesus' Commandments? A. You cannot serve God and money (Matt. 6:24) B. You must worship the Father in Spirit and Truth (John 4:24) C. We should do acts of mercy on the Lord's Day (Lk. 13:10-17) D. Honour our Parents (Matt. 5:1-5) E. Don't murder from the heart (Matt. 6:22, 43) F. Don't commit adultery from the heart (Matt. 6:28) G. Don't steal (Matt. 15:19-20) H. Don't bear false witness (Matt. 15:19-20)
I. Love each other in humility (John 13: 14,15) J. Love each other sacrificially (John 15:13,14) K. Pray and fast for the Kingdom of God (Matt. 6)
Chris is the pastor of First Presbyterian Church (PCA), Picayune, MS. Picayune is located in the far southeastern corner of MS just about an hour from New Orleans, LA. We are located at 401 Fifth Avenue. Sunday worship is at 10:45, and all are welcome to attend!