Answer: â€˜Christian baptism â€¦ is a sign from God that signifies inward cleansing and remission of sins (Acts 22:16; 1 Cor 6:11; Eph 5:25â€“27), Spirit-wrought regeneration and new life (Titus 3:5), and the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit as God's seal testifying and guaran-teeing that one will be kept safe in Christ forever (1 Cor 12:13; Eph 1:13â€“14). Baptism carries these meanings because first and fun-damentally it signifies union with Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection (Rom 6:3â€“7; Col 2:11â€“12); and this union with Christ is the source of every element in our salvation (1 John 5:11â€“12).' â€“ J.I. Packer, Concise Theology, 212.
1. WHERE DO WE GET THE WORD?
2. THE OLD TESTAMENT BACKGROUND
3. IN THE NEW TESTAMENT STORY --- A. Believers were baptized --- B. Only believers were baptized
4. WHAT DOES BAPTISM SYMBOLIZE? --- A. The washing away of sins --- B. Union with Christ in his death and resurrection --- C. Passing through (the waters of) judgement safely
5. WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH OUR CORE VALUES? --- A. Truth --- B. Humility --- C. Delight